Re: [SLUG] Html Email Format part 2

luke@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> With the recent discussion about reasons for not using HTML for email,
> I was surprised that no one mentioned that there is a pre-existing
> carefully designed international standard format for enriched mail,
> called MIME, which has been in existence for donkey's years.

Have I missed something here?

HTML email uses a content-type header:

MIME attachments use (variations on) the following headers:

HTML is a text markup facility.
MIME is a general-purpose encoding scheme for *any* content type.

Tell me, Luke, how would MIME help you enriched email
using MIME? The only way I can think of is encoding an enriched
document, which brings us to the same probs we have with HTML
email: bulk, useless in text-only, etc.etc

> Though I only know of one mail program that displays MIME 100% correctly
> according to the specs, and *that* one is a friend's private hobby
> project still in development.  :-(

Tell us more. And more specifically, does this project display all
content-types that MIME can handle? If it does, it must be the biggest
application in existence, since MIME can be used to encode every content
type in the universe.

Rick Welykochy || Praxis Services Pty Limited
"Tired of being a crash test dummy for Microsoft? Try Linux"