Re: [SLUG] Allowing users to write to dos partition.

Terry Collins wrote:

> Michael Lake wrote:
> > I want users to be able to write to a dos partition .
> > Permission scurrently, when mounted or unmounted are:
> > drwxrwxr-x   10 root root  4096 Jan  1  1970 dos
> >
> > If I "chown root:dosusers dos" or "chgrp dosusers dos" I
> > get:
> > chgrp: dos/: Operation not permitted
>
> Redhat?
> You need to modify your /etc/fstab to allow the user to mount the
> partition and Redhat then allows the user to own and write to it. 'user'
> option, I think.

But notice that I already have "/dev/hda1  /dos  vfat
user,rw 0 0" in /etc/fstab
> 2. users could, if the permissions were correct, write to it
> as etc/fstab has:
> "/dev/hda1  /dos  vfat user,rw 0 0"

This option "user" though just allows users to mount /
unmount the device. The partition is automatically mounted
when booting - its the permissions I need to change and
RedHat won't allow me to.

Mike
Michael Lake
University of Technology, Sydney
Email: mailto:Mike.Lake@xxxxxxxxxx Ph: 02 9514 1724 Fx: 02
9514 1628
Linux enthusiast, active caver and interested in anything
technical.