SLUG Mailing List Archives
Re: [SLUG] backup using rsync and file permission
- To: Ian Ward <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [SLUG] backup using rsync and file permission
- From: Scott Howard <scott@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Tue Oct 24 22:07:21 2000
- Cc: Ricky C <rceng@xxxxxxxxxxx>, slug@xxxxxxxxxxx
- User-agent: Mutt/1.2.5i
On Fri, Oct 20, 2000 at 09:52:00AM +1000, Ian Ward wrote:
> Just an extra to Scotts post
> UNIX keeps UID/GID as numbers.
Unix does, rsync doesn't (unless you tell it to).
By default, rsync will first try to match up usernames, and if that fails
it will only then fallback to UID.
> number, files magically belong to someone else after copying. As
> administrator, you will need to keep UID/GID consistent between the two
For NFS and the like, yes. For rsync, no need.