Re: [SLUG] Associating filenames

On Wed, 18 Oct 2000, Howard Lowndes generated:

>Is there any ability in Linux to associate filename extensions, or
>similar, with applications.  I have been fiddling with Staroffice and
>that works OK, but I am curious as to whether the ability exists in
>Linux on a broader basis, more to do with such associations in
>Netscrape.

I remember reading some stuff on this, in the binfmt_misc module docs.
IIRC, java binary support is no different from associating .txt with vi.

However, no-one (i've heard of) uses it, and the association tends to
be implemented in GUIs.

--
No, I was looking for warez.  The pornography was just a useful byproduct.
		-- Dave Coote