SLUG Mailing List Archives
RE: [SLUG] Slow initial telnet.
- To: "George Vieira" <georgev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: RE: [SLUG] Slow initial telnet.
- From: "David Kempe" <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Tue Oct 17 11:56:49 2000
- Cc: "Sydney Linux Users Group in Sydney \(E-mail\)" <slug@xxxxxxxxxxx>
I've found that this whole problem is a local name lookup problem.
The file /etc/hosts stores things that can be quickly looked up.
I've found by adding lines in here that say what the current hostname is of
the machine and the correct ip address(s) - all of them, then it makes it
The DNS client will probably look at /etc/hosts first then try the server
and setting in /etc/resolv.conf - unless you have changed the order -
> I removed the entry and it starts up real damn quick.. weird that it MUST
> resolve these addresses. Must find a way to ignore them..