[SLUG] IP Chains config

Hi again,

I will get the hang of this one day.

It looks to me as if the way REDHAT handles IP chains changed from 6.1 to
6.2.

I am stuck and in a bit of a hurry so perhaps you guys could help me out.

NOTE: this is very basic and very open but I am just experimenting with this
right now.

According to the REDHat Linux Bible (6.1) it says to add the following to
/etc/rc.d/init.d/network       (page 555)
after

case "$1" in
	start)
		ipv4_forward_set

		ipchains -P forward DENY
		ipchains -A forward -s 192.168.26.0/24 -j MASQ

In redhat 6.2 ipv4_forward_set is not in the network file and does not show
up on my system using find.

I did some looking around and found in /etc/rc.d/init.d an ipchains file. I
guessed that this would be run at startup, but I don't know linux well
enough to know this for sure.
I added a file called /etc/sysconfig/ipchains and added in the two ipchains
lines from above....minus the ipchains bit of course.

if I now run  /etc/rc.d/init.d/ipchains start      it reads my
/etc/sysconfig/ipchains file and does not give any errors so I guess this
part is OK.

OK....if I
cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
i get a 0, not the 1 that I need.

hmmm...now how do I start ipchains or ipforwarding now at boot time?

i looked on REDHAT for some help but the ipchains help file there was
written by someone using DEBIAN and they did not go into too much detail
about where things should go.

Any help appreciated, as always.

Alister

Alister Waller (B. Comp)
Technical Consultant - Roadtech Systems Ltd
Phone: 02 98073516 Fax: 02 98085294
www.roadtechsystems.com.au