SLUG Mailing List Archives
Re: [SLUG] tar extract -> out of time_t
- To: Sydney Linux Users Group <slug@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [SLUG] tar extract -> out of time_t
- From: Ken Yap <ken@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed Oct 4 09:56:20 2000
- Reply-to: ken@xxxxxxxxxx (Ken Yap)
>Does anyone know what this error message from a tar archive
>means? There is nothing in the man pages for tar on this.
>tar xvf rsnsw.tar
> tar: Archive value 2872975643983 is out of time_t range
> tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
>It occurs for both t and x tar options. Is it complaining
>about some problem with a time stamp perhaps?
>The archive itself seems to have extracted OK.
My guess is that the tar format has been extended to 64-bit timestamps
but the upper 32 bits of timestamps in the archive (possibly created by
an older tar?) contain garbage which trigger this warning.