Re: [SLUG] [OT] Debian Flame on LWN

At some point around Tue, Oct 03, 2000 at 11:24:50PM +1100, Terry Collins said:
> Thom May wrote:
>
> ...snip.....
>
> > Why dare not run the upgrade? Have I missed something? So,
> > they've stopped releasing bug fixes etc. This is entirely normal
> > for an older release - it went stable fricking ages ago... I
> > sent three machines on the slink-potato trip last week, and they
> > are all perfectly happy.
>
> As a guess, I think Michael was alluding to the RH style where they
> continue to release fixes for older versions. However, I expect that
> Debian doesn't have the personnell assets that RH has.
It also has an entirely different upgrade path - ie:
RHAT - oooh, need to upgrade! back everything up, floor box,
rebuild from scratch, reinstall all custom stuff etc...
Debian - `apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade`

> ...snip....
>
> > for a release that was superceded two months ago,
> > in the entirely reasonable expectation that you will upgrade,
> > *for free* to the new release!
>
> Is this a reasonable expectation?
> That really declares Debian as a distro only for "professionals"
> TANSTAAFL!
How does it? When the upgrade path is as easy as debian's it
makes no sense whatsoever to not upgrade. Slink was released in
1999, early thereof, if I remember rightly. RHAT has gone from
(at least) 6.0 - 6.2 in the same time, and if you need to change
versions, you need to upgrade.

> My experience in upgrades is such that I never upgrade now, unless the
> machine it totally sacrificial and I have time to waste. Too many
> "upgrades" have gone belly up. I'm yet to experience a debian upgrade,
> but don't see how it will be different to other distro's.
trust me. debian and anyotherupgrade are not the same. I
"upgrade" my distro, every night, on Cron. I'm entirely happy to
allow this, because it works.

> > > As much as I love Debian, I am loosing interest/faith rather quickly.
> > Poor you. I have no idea where else you will be getting the
> > level of support and quality software that Debian provides.
>
> I'm not so religious. My bottom line is that my computers are like my
> car - another work tool. They don't exist so I can spend my time
> upgrading them, but rather so I can push work through them to earn
> income. Time spent rebuilding a system is lost income.

> Time spent having to "upgrade" regularly is also lost income from a
> business sense as it pushes the support cost higher. The benefit of
> supporting older versions is that it drives the support costs down from
> a business viewpoint. I guess it depends on how you see Linux achieving
> world domination {:-).

See comments earlier ;)
But honestly - no time is lost, no need for single user,
reboots, etc - it works dynamically.
see: http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-uptodate.html

cheers
thom