Re: [SLUG] Synchronous network ?

On Sun, Sep 24, 2000 at 10:49:23AM +1100, John Ferlito wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 24, 2000 at 08:49:37AM +1100, johna@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > I'd imagine token rings implement this in hardware, seriously reducing
> > the latency. But I'm looking for a way to add the functionality to
> > current standard ethernet links.
>
> 	Token Bus. Which is token ring implemented using normal ethernet.
> Probably not as good as real token ring but comes close as only the machine
> with the token is allowed to send. I think it's 802.5?

802.4 (Token Ring is 802.5 -- I had an obsession with that standard
a few years ago but I'm over it now)
token bus generally runs on 70 ohm coax or fibre (token ring usu.
runs on twisted pair), not sure if the standard specifies a medium.

There is still a ring but it is logical not physical (needed to stop
the token falling out at the end of course).

<ObLinux>
Linux doesn't seem to support token bus hw. It supports some token
ring cards.

Also similar is ARCnet which is pretty well supported (check out the
ARCnet-HOWTO and the author's web pages which are pretty funny).
</ObLinux>

Conrad.