SLUG Mailing List Archives
Re: [SLUG] Debian
- To: Ben Leslie <benno@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [SLUG] Debian
- From: Ken Yap <ken@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Tue Sep 19 15:12:29 2000
- Cc: Sydney Linux Users Group <slug@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Reply-to: ken@xxxxxxxxxx (Ken Yap)
>Yes but your phone has really just one purpose, to place phone calls,
>(well except for fancy new phones, and most of them do require some form
>of documentation to use). A computer on the other hand is a far more advanced
>piece of technology which allows you to use it for many things.
Sure, but as I wrote later, there will be specialised computers for
single tasks, the silicon is cheap enough. We are already seeing this in
trend in boxes that only do firewalling or routing, or web serving. Why
not boxes that just do MP3 playing, or video viewing, etc.
>The point is that people aim to do a wide variety of things with their
> computers and all require a different setup so this can only be
>simplified to a certain extent.
That point was never in question.