Re: Moving OT a bit [was] Re: [SLUG] Re: Proceedure for preventing 'linux single' at lilo promp t

Howard Lowndes <lannet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> I did hear a rumour that RAM theft is a problem in corporate
> environments.  Does anyone have any first hand experience of just how
> prevelent it might be.

No but (second hand) they had problems at my chick's old work
with people pinching RAM to boost the amount in their own
machines.

We joke about it at work here but it'd be too easy to get
found out as (1) we're a small company and (2) you'd notice
from the uptime on your machine that it had been rebooted
and investigate why.

BTW, I noticed this the other day:

jill[davidf]> uptime
  1:48pm  up 388 day(s),  1:50,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.01
jill[davidf]> uname -a
SunOS jill 5.6 Generic_105182-05 i86pc i386 i86pc

It's a pentium 233 with 64Mb of RAM and is our x86 compiler
and license server.

Dave.