Re: [SLUG] Debian and Security

On Tue, 12 Sep 2000, John Ferlito generated:

>	Just wondering what are the security.debian.org list of packages for
>in the default sources.list. When security whole are found aren't the pacjages in the main tree updated? Or is it just a speed thing where security is updated much more rapidly than main to try and get patches out faster? ie rsyncd hourly rather than daily?

I found a whole thread on debian-devel about this whilst trying to find
a mirror[1] for s.d.o.  It's basically a hack job around the 'dinstall'
process which maintainers use to move packages to the apt repositories.
So yeah, as a speedup thing to get security patches out as fast as
possitble, they go to s.d.o rather than going thru the red tape of the
real repository.

Security updates actually get merged with the main repository for point
releases (2.2r1 is out RSN).

[1] deb http://debian.uchicago.edu/debian-security stable/updates main contrib non-free

--
jamesw

Usenet is essentially a HUGE group of people passing notes in class.
		-- R. Kadel
jamesw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx