[SLUG] Re: [LINK] FC: Microsoft Word and Excel track users, invade privacy (fwd)

Ash Nallawalla wrote:

> From: Rick Welykochy
>
> > The Privacy Foundation has just released an advisory
> > on an issue that we discovered earlier this month
> > in Microsoft Word.
>
> Office 97 was Web-enabled, so haven't these "Web Bugs" been around for a
> while?
>
> See: http://www.tiac.net/users/smiths/privacy/index.htm

The Star Office suite also allows image URLs to be included
in documents, spreadsheets and presentations, which means that it
also has the capacity to host web bugs. I would guess that most
similar application suites have the same capability.

Star Office of course runs on Linux, Solaris, and Windows. My
checking was done on a Linux machine.

Ross Johnson