Re: [SLUG] workshop-full of junk available late this week

ken@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> > Yep, this is very limited use.
>
> Well it depends on the expectations of the users. If everybody wants to run
> StarOffice, then there isn't much hope of supporting them on discarded hardware.

Pentiums run SO & WP okay.
If users hqve an explanation of getting the latest, greatest and
fastest, then they would not be the sort of donee CB would want.

I have this problem with my surplus list
(http://www.woa.com.au/surplus) - some people WANT everything, but
have a strange reluctance to pay postage to have it sent to them.

> Unfortunately schools and school admins have their own agendas, another long
> story.
...rearrange....

>What happened to the school librarian you were trying to convince?

As you said, schools have their own adgenda. I declined further
involvment when they decided highest priority was writting programs
for Win95. The librarian decided it is easier to wait and retire than
argue any other case. Me - I just thought we might look first at
cabling the whole school, so every classroom had internet/central
server access, then look at projects, but no.

...snip.....

> Problem with home users is that if we give them a machine, they expect some
> handholding. This could be even more problematic than refurbishing machines.

Naah, Slug can run a basic apps day. These people will be linux users
now.
Actually, this is the sort of thing that MacLUG style days can handle
- bring your machine along and we can show you - quite easily.

> But we did try, and you ended with a load of hardware from Basil in your garage.
> :-)

That'll "learn" me to take stuff from CB people {:-)
Yep, It was three printers for assessment. I suffered disintergration
and the other two will probably suffer the same soon.

> Unfortunately the current evidence is that hardware (not very modern hardware
> though) is easy to get and takers are few.

Then I think CB needs to adopt the same stance as TAD - Say NO!.
Or charge to take it away and thus earn the organisation $$$$.
I've declined the last three offers - (1 was 286's, and the other two
were early 486's at best, but mostly junk). If CB had space and was
also recycling, then donating a few Kms to collect stuff and
disintegrate it into parts/skips/material types would have produced a
different answer.

I know of two possible donee's, but haven't confirmed them as
interested in linux as I don't have pentium hardware to give them. One
already has wfwg on 486dx33 from me.

If CB has decided that organisations are the preferred way to go, then
that is fine.

   email: terryc@xxxxxxxxxx  www: http://www.woa.com.au
       or terryc@xxxxxxxxxx
   snail:  PO Box 1047, Campbelltown, NSW 2560.