SLUG Mailing List Archives
Re: [SLUG] Select and kill running process
- To: Terry Collins <terryc@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [SLUG] Select and kill running process
- From: Ben Leslie <benno@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Tue Aug 22 10:04:32 2000
- Cc: slug@xxxxxxxxxxx
- Organization: SES Group
- Reply-to: benno@xxxxxxxxxxxx
- User-agent: Mutt/1.0.1i
On Tue, 22 Aug 2000, Terry Collins wrote:
> Hello Sluggers
> list process | grep desired-process | kill desired-process
> Can someone tell me the format of the last part?
> ps axf | grep process | kill -9 "process???"
ps axf | grep netscape | sed s/^\ *// | cut -f1 -d" " | xargs kill -9
seems to work for me.
kill takes the PID afaik, which is the first argument of ps axf.
The pid is right justified so I strip the spaces off the front, and then use
cut to get the first field (being the PID).
This works, _BUT_ I'm sure there is another (probably better) way of doing