SLUG Mailing List Archives
[SLUG] Re: [Oz-ISP] Linux -v- M$ Costs
- To: Howard Lowndes <lannet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Mail List - SLUG <slug@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Mail List - Oz-ISP <aussie-isp@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: [SLUG] Re: [Oz-ISP] Linux -v- M$ Costs
- From: Lincoln Dale <ltd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Thu Aug 10 09:09:28 2000
At 02:57 09/08/00, Howard Lowndes wrote:
I have a good idea what the Linux costings will work out at, but I am not
too sure of the M$ costs. If anyone has any info in this field they would
care to impart I would be grateful.
for linux costs, rather than thinking of it as an exercise of:
(1) cost of PC
(2) (perhaps) cost of redhat CD
(3) cost of person to install/configure netfilter/sendmail/qpopper/samba/..
(4) regular maintenance to (3)
you might want to instead look at something by companies like cobalt
networks or valinux. (standalone pre-configured, self-maintaining, _with
you might also find that the web sites of cobalt networks / valinux /
redhat have papers going thru the "total cost of ownership".
i know that microsoft's web-site has these (of course, NT comes out on
top), but the facts/figures were dubious last time i looked at them.