Re: [SLUG] Sendmail & DNS

On Thu, Jul 20, 2000 at 11:43:51AM +1000, pworboys@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Sluggers
>
> What happened next was that all internal SMTP mail (*nix <--> *nix) and
> (*nix <--> exchange) was failing because their was no DNS lookup
> available.
>
> Our internal server are NOT included in the ZONE file at optus, but they
> are defined in the /etc/hosts file.
>
> It appears that our sendmail was always attemping to lookup internal name
> using DNS rather that using the values specified in /etc/hosts,
> irrespective of the settings used.

	I'm guessing you're using something like the following

define(`MAIL_HUB', `smtp:smtp.domain.com.au')dnl
define(`SMART_HOST', `smtp:smtp.domain.com.au')dnl

IN your sendmail mc files. or you have
domain.com.au:  smtp:smtp.domain.com.au
in your mailertable file.

The thing is even though you specifiy a host sendmail still trys to do an MX lookup on it which would fail if you don't have any DNS. Solution is put square brackets around the host name then it will deliver top it directly.eg

domain.com.au:  smtp:[smtp.domain.com.au]

--
John Ferlito                                Ph: +612 9253 5755
Systems Engineer                           Fax: +612 9247 5276