Re: [SLUG] Linux on the desktop predictions

> Conrad Parker wrote:
> > >
> > >         "there are two types of command interfaces in the world
> > >         of computing: good interfaces and user interfaces."
> > >           -- Dan Bernstein, "The qmail security guarantee",
> > >              http://cr.yp.to/qmail/guarantee.html

 8< - 8<

> has someone gone and replaced Jeff with a flamebot or something?
>
> Jeff, could you please rephrase your argument without referring to
> djb as 'slimy'?

djb certainly isn't slimy. Whilst I wasn't accusing him of sliminess to
begin with - rather the attitude I felt the quote presented, and which is
fairly strongly held across computing science - reading the quote within
it's context reveals it to have little or nothing to do with the argument.

Before seeing the quote in context, I thought it may be yet another slight
against 'pandering to mere users' - this never fails to annoy me.

The flame was directed at the continuance of this annoying mistake in the
computing science and IT industries, and not djb himself.

- Jeff

-- jdub@xxxxxxxxxxx ----------------------------- http://www.slug.org.au/ --

              linux.conf.au - coming to Sydney in January 2001

      Installing Linux Around Australia - http://linux.org.au/installfest/