Re: [SLUG] Linux on the desktop predictions

Well, I have just installed a client with 6 sites thru Vic & NSW with
about 5-6 Linux boxen at each site, mostly doing email and terminal
emulation and some Staroffice and not a Windows box in sight.

Several of the users were 'puter illiterate and they were less of a
problem than those who knew some of the tweaks with W95/98.  These latter
were a tad miffed that they couldn't have their Anna Kornu(whoever) screen
savers.

One supplier to my client who couldn't get his u-beaut Excel spreadsheet
pricelist to run the macros described the system as user-unfriendly until
I pointed out to him that he had a cheek assuming that he would be allowed
to run macros on someone elses network anyway, Windows or not, and that as
far as my client is concerned it is more important to my client that his
network be corporate friendly and easily maintained remotely, than that it
allows him to be lazy or lets the user bog up the desktop with crud.  I
suggested that it would be more effective and economic for his company to
put the price list on the web, even with secure access if that is a
problem.

My next campaign is with my local rural council who have been given a
feral govt grant to set up Internet cafes in 5 of the small villages
around Albury including my own village.  I am going to do my damnedest to
keep the Borg out of the place.

--
Howard.
LANNet Computing Associates <http://www.lannet.com.au>