Re: [SLUG] IP Addressing/Subnetting The Easy Way...

On Mon, 17 Jul 2000, Dean Hamstead wrote:

> Anyway so i put my address in as
> 192.168.1. 40
>
> with a subnet of
>
> 255.255.255.240
>

> "it" (being the tcpip stack of X favourite OS) will know im refering to
> the block
>
> 192.168.1.32 thru 192.168.1.47

Correctimundo. Well, provided the IP stack understands subnet masking
properly - no guarantees with M$ stuff. :-)

> ok thats pretty cool
>
> when i make my route however, what is the network?? (or -net x.x.x.x )

The network address will be 192.168.1.32, with the same subnet mask. You
_must_ specify the subnet mask, or the routing software will either error
out, or ignore you and assume 192.168.1.0 as the network address.

DaZZa