Re: [SLUG] Going around in circles

On Sat, Jul 15, 2000 at 05:06:41PM +1000, David wrote:

> Now this is getting downright ridiculous (as follows):
>
> [root@fast rpm]# rpm -i python-devel-1.5.2-13.i386.rpm
> python-1.5.2-13.i386.rpm tkinter-1.5.2-13.i386.rpm
> error: failed dependencies:
>         tkinter < 1.5.2 conflicts with python-1.5.2-13

use -U not -i

-i (install) is braindead about packages that are already installed;
by the looks of it, it checks each of the rpms you tell it against
the database of already installed rpms, without taking into account
that you might be concurrently upgrading some of them. -U (upgrade)
takes this into account.

In fact, -U works even when no previous version of the package is
already installed (ie. it will install a fresh package for you) and
consequently I never use -i, only -U, even for installing new stuff.

Conrad.