SLUG Mailing List Archives
[chat] Re: [CTTE] SLUG meeting announcements
- To: SLUG <slug@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "SLUG Committee" <committee@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Slug Chat" <slug-chat@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: [chat] Re: [CTTE] SLUG meeting announcements
- From: "Silvia Pfeiffer" <silviapfeiffer1@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 18:09:51 +1000
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=beta; d=gmail.com; h=received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; b=DKTKmfWosxN+evP1WzFijauquyoSkvjVcQmg5XDOdE3NVnz2XeH2TkFFXgpveyyNqFZARxx9aN8fY50GJc13fsSJ8b0IOyXvGCkJZJ10V8y76RQGUy+MgpoegG+Kbnx/RrS3dfavCNQSl1Xv21TgUDDonOiBMxPM/pF0MoRqXmg=
Give the new committee a chance to get the hang of it! :)
I was supposed to organise it, but only understood that I'd be heading the meeting and failed to understand that it implies organising the speakers. It's my FIRST TIME, dude!
BTW, it turned out well anyway: had we organised it earlier, there wouldn't be a panel on during the General Talk time this time.
Lindsay Holmwood <auxesis@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 5/24/06, Pia Waugh <greebo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I've noticed that the SLUG meeting announcements and such have been going
> out pretty late, and I wanted to make a small suggestion. If someone on the
> SLUG ctte (or someone the SLUG ctte delegated to) organised the next meeting
> in the following weekend of the previous SLUG meeting, and posted the
> details immediately, it gives everyone a good four weeks notice for each
> meeting and what is going on. There are heaps of people willing to give
> talks, and it would look good for newcomers to the SLUG site to see what
> events are happening well in advance.
That's generally what we do at the committee meetings, which we hold
the following weekend after SLUG meetings. We delegate the
responsibility of organising speakers at the committee meeting, but
this month it did not get followed through until the last minute.
I wholeheartedly agree that we need to post notifications of meetings
much further ahead of time.
> Also, SLUG ctte, can you please update the website to show what is happening
> this Friday. For everyone else's information, I'm going to run a community
> panel showing a variety of peoples different ideas about community, what it
> means to them, how to participate in the community and some tips on
> community etiquette for newcomers to get the most of their community