Re: [chat] Is that the truth hurts?

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 14:03:52 +1000
andrew fries <afries@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I always thought "Demos" was Greek for "People", and Encyclopedia
> Britannica
> seems to agree with me...
>
> http://www.britannica.com/eb/article?eu=30382&tocid=0&query=democracy&ct=

Grrrr.... my stupid mail client's spamming up the list.

Anyhow, yes, you are right - I stand corrected.

When putting my definition forward before I recontextualised a passage
or two from that book, which wasn't exactly the correct thing to do.
Although the word democracy means "people's rule", the Greeks
_regarded_ it as "franchised rule", but their form of democracy
was quite different from anything we'd recognise as democracy.

Lindsay

--
Lindsay Holmwood
asymmetrics.net