Re: [chat] Re: [SLUG] Windoze XP "registration" procedure

On Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 11:10:48AM +1100, Jobst Schmalenbach wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 10:18:11AM +1100, Mary Gardiner (slug@xxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 10:32:37AM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > > Free Software advocates should *strongly* support the strictest adherence to
> > > proprietary software licensing terms. Why?
> > >
> > >   - If we don't adhere to proprietary license terms, why should anyone
> > >     respect or adhere to Free Software licensing terms?
> >
> > I think this one is the most important, probably in part because I'm not
> > actually a believer in "information wants to be free."
> >
> > I think programmers are entitled to sell their wares if they so choose,
> > and hence any restriction on propriety licences is a great gift. It is
> > an incredible thing that there is a whole community of programmers who give
> > their work away.
>

> They do NOT give they work away and neither money!

They give it away in so far as it is often something they could make
money from selling under a proprietry licence.

So I tend to regard people who are using free licences as people who are
being generous with their work, rather than as people who have made a
decision based on financial gain.

It may in fact ending up saving money for some or most users, and this
may motivate some or most developers, but I choose to regard them as
altruistic. This shouldn't matter, because my opinion of software
development affects only the way I spend my money, not the way the
system in general operates.

> Once you realize this cycle, there is NO WAY BACK to any windoooooze
> based system .......

As yet, my use of computer games remains bound in the propriety system,
and I choose to respect their desire to charge me money to buy their
binaries without giving me source code.

Whether or not it would be better for computer games to be open sourced
I'm not sure, but if they choose to be closed source, I respect it and
consider that they deserve to be paid for their work and that I have no
moral right to copy their games.

-Mary.

--
Mary Gardiner