Re: [chat] Re: [SLUG] Windoze XP "registration" procedure

On Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 10:18:11AM +1100, Mary Gardiner (slug@xxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 10:32:37AM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > Free Software advocates should *strongly* support the strictest adherence to
> > proprietary software licensing terms. Why?
> >
> >   - If we don't adhere to proprietary license terms, why should anyone
> >     respect or adhere to Free Software licensing terms?
> I think this one is the most important, probably in part because I'm not
> actually a believer in "information wants to be free."
> I think programmers are entitled to sell their wares if they so choose,
> and hence any restriction on propriety licences is a great gift. It is
> an incredible thing that there is a whole community of programmers who give
> their work away.

They do NOT give they work away and neither money!
If I help the Free Software Foundation by writing code/enhancing/bugs reports
then I do not need to spend money on software which is outrageously overpriced
and actually SAVE money and I do not feel like giving my work away at all.

If every company in the world would spend some time writing, enhancing or
bug-reporting we would not need ANY BROAD RANGE software companies (meaning
office suits, OS's etc stuff that everyone needs) AT ALL.

If a person in a company spends time writing GPL software (and the company
allows the person to do so) then in the long run the company saves money.

With every bug report I send to:

I spend time to figure out whats wrong and why, but as soon as I send
it over its fixed .... and then I dont spend a cent on the upgrade.

At the end of the day I know how much time I spend on things, but at
the end of the month I know how much money I spend and that counts.

Once you realize this cycle, there is NO WAY BACK to any windoooooze
based system .......

Passwords are like underwear. You don't share them, you don't hang them on your monitor, or under your keyboard, you don't email them, or put them on a web site, and you must change them very often.

             __, Jobst Schmalenbach, jobst@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Technical Director
   _ _.--'-n_/   Barrett Consulting Group P/L & The Meditation Room P/L
 -(_)------(_)=  +61 3 9532 7677, POBox 277, Caulfield South, 3162, Australia