Re: [chat] Re: [SLUG] Windoze XP "registration" procedure

On Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 10:18:11AM +1100, Mary Gardiner (slug@xxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 10:32:37AM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > Free Software advocates should *strongly* support the strictest adherence to
> > proprietary software licensing terms. Why?
> >
> >   - If we don't adhere to proprietary license terms, why should anyone
> >     respect or adhere to Free Software licensing terms?
>
> I think this one is the most important, probably in part because I'm not
> actually a believer in "information wants to be free."
>
> I think programmers are entitled to sell their wares if they so choose,
> and hence any restriction on propriety licences is a great gift. It is
> an incredible thing that there is a whole community of programmers who give
> their work away.

They do NOT give they work away and neither money!
If I help the Free Software Foundation by writing code/enhancing/bugs reports
then I do not need to spend money on software which is outrageously overpriced
and actually SAVE money and I do not feel like giving my work away at all.

If every company in the world would spend some time writing, enhancing or
bug-reporting we would not need ANY BROAD RANGE software companies (meaning
office suits, OS's etc stuff that everyone needs) AT ALL.

If a person in a company spends time writing GPL software (and the company
allows the person to do so) then in the long run the company saves money.

With every bug report I send to:

  sendmail
  squid
  iptables
  ntpd
  bind
  apache
  kde*
  amavis
  perl
  ETC

I spend time to figure out whats wrong and why, but as soon as I send
it over its fixed .... and then I dont spend a cent on the upgrade.

At the end of the day I know how much time I spend on things, but at
the end of the month I know how much money I spend and that counts.

Once you realize this cycle, there is NO WAY BACK to any windoooooze
based system .......

jobst

--
Passwords are like underwear. You don't share them, you don't hang them on your monitor, or under your keyboard, you don't email them, or put them on a web site, and you must change them very often.

             __, Jobst Schmalenbach, jobst@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Technical Director
   _ _.--'-n_/   Barrett Consulting Group P/L & The Meditation Room P/L
 -(_)------(_)=  +61 3 9532 7677, POBox 277, Caulfield South, 3162, Australia