Re: [chat] Editor anxiety

On Mon, Oct 29, 2001 at 10:24:02PM +1100, Adrian van den Dries wrote:
> > I'm yet to learn the macro language though. One of these days I'll have to
> > write a vim macro to compute the real fourier transform of a ppm file or
> > something.
> See, that's where the whole "vim vs. emacs" argument just falls apart:
> Learn to script emacs, and you have learnt a fully-featured, high-level,
> arguably superior[0] programming language.  Learn to script vim OTOH,
> and you've learnt to script vim.  Whoopie.

I wasn't going to touch on that, but I agree with you. This probably isn't an
issue for many people though, as it's fairly advanced editor usage to get
seriously into scripting. I've been using emacs for years, and have only just
started to seriously consider it for some tasks.

> > However, when one has thoughts of doing scientific computation with a text
> > editor it is ... time to switch to emacs.
> That sound you hear is the sound of hammer meeting nail.
> a. (entertaining thoughts of learning emacs one day)

It's really not that hard. Then again, I'd advocate learning both vi/m and
emacs and seeing which you prefer. Learning to use vim competently made me
search for equivalent features in emacs (numeric arguments, keystroke to repeat
a command etc.) and made me a more competent emacs user. It needn't be an
either/or thing, I still use vi for some things.

> [0] http://www.paulgraham.com/paulgraham/avg.html

Some mighty good links from that page :)