Re: [chat] Editor anxiety

Wrote James Peter Gregory, on October 27, around  1:57am +1000:

> I'm yet to learn the macro language though. One of these days I'll have to
> write a vim macro to compute the real fourier transform of a ppm file or
> something.

See, that's where the whole "vim vs. emacs" argument just falls apart:
Learn to script emacs, and you have learnt a fully-featured, high-level,
arguably superior[0] programming language.  Learn to script vim OTOH,
and you've learnt to script vim.  Whoopie.

> However, when one has thoughts of doing scientific computation with a text
> editor it is ... time to switch to emacs.

That sound you hear is the sound of hammer meeting nail.

a. (entertaining thoughts of learning emacs one day)

[0] http://www.paulgraham.com/paulgraham/avg.html

P.S. Cantanker's Tip o' the day

To get vim to do cool things with PHP the way it works for C:

au Bufnewfile,bufread *.php setlocal cindent
au Bufnewfile,bufread *.php set comments=sO:*\ -,mO:*\ \ ,exO:*/,s1:/*,mb:*,ex:*/,://,:#
au Bufnewfile,bufread *.php set formatoptions=croql

Does that look like line noise, or what?

--
Cantanker /