Re: [chat] Killing run away scripts

* This one time, at band camp, Ken Foskey said:

> I have a program last compiled in May no significant change in data just
> decided to loop,  Oracle update  lots of processes eventually crippling
> the box,  the database is on the same box.    The whole thing took  36
> hours to notice we were having 'issues'.   Big brother here we come.
>
> What I was thinking is how I can register a kill command after a couple
> of hours.   This whole process takes minutes and if it is hours then it
> has screwed up.   Is there anyway of doing this portably between unices.
>
> Ta
> KenF

It isn't hard to do that, but would it not be better to fix the problem
rather than 'randomly' killing processes.

Greeno
--
Greeno <tgreen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
GnuPG Key :  1024D/B5657C8B

Imagine working in a secure environment and finding the string
_NSAKEY in the OS binaries without a good explanation
    -Alan Cox 04/05/2001