Re: [chat] GENERAL INFO: An experiment in motherboard upgrades - GA-7IXE4 to Asus A7V133 (w. Promise Raid)

On Sun, 28 Oct 2001, Catie Flick wrote:

> When it all booted up, it looked fine, except that odd things were
> segfaulting on bootup. Things like apmd, gpm, sendmail, other random
> things (but the same things each time I booted). I checked the RAM and I
> checked it again, a thorough memtest found no errors. It was starting to
> bug me that kernel compiles (considered a fairly good exercise of a
> machine's stability) would segfault; it was fairly obvious that this was
> not a stable, or happy, machine.
>
> Someone mentioned to me that it could be a power problem, so I unplugged
> everything except for the mobo and the hdd, and we tried again. Still no
> joy. Eventually, I thought, well, if I'm going to be powering 5 IDE
> devices (the reason I got this one in the first place), I'll need a
> chunkier power supply *anyway*, so I went out and bought a 300W PSU, put
> it in and whammo! no more segfaults!
>
> So the moral of the story is: even if you unplug all your powerhungry
> devices the 250W PSU you have might not be enough for the motherboard.
> Oh, and don't do stupid things with RAM.

Was this a Duron or Athlon AMD processor?

Alan was mentioning the other day that you actually need an AMD rated
Power Supply now, as the load spikes on these processors can cause many of
the older type PSU's to undervolt badly..

Something I had never heard of before..

--
Anthony Rumble - Managing Director
EverythingLinux.com.au - The Alternative Operating System Store