Re: [chat] LDAP talk

On Wed, 24 Oct 2001, Steve Kowalik <stevenk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote...

: > ^ I dont mumble, damnit.
: >
: I beg to differ. *giggle*

*thwack* LART!

: OpenLDAPv2 can use TLS or SSL, da.
: I was more talking about running slapd with "-h 'ldaps://'" and the other
: myraid of things you have to do.

ja, funkiness.

: > Easy for a a once off - but its a real pain when you want to do anything
: > serious - which ldap *should* support. I don't believ I should be writing
: > an admin app for this - ldap is so damn good, there should be plenty. But
: > there doesnt appear to be.
: >
: Serious? Like adding 150 new students and culling the 150 old ones?
: I don't think I have seen any hardcore LDAP admin app. You have a nice point
: though, there _should_ be plenty of 'em. I do keep getting told by friends
: (and the pendantic bastard in me), to just shut up, and use ldap(add|modify)
: , with LDIF files, and shut the hell up. ;-)

Jah, that is the kind of 'serious' that I intended.
LDAP just looks to be damn good for large-scale implimentations - but
there doesnt look to be any applications to support this. The closest I've
seen is a web-based ISP manager with a ldap backend... and it sucked.

: *cough* Damn coders acting like sysadmins *cough*

I'm more a sysadm than a coder.

Anyone else think we need something like that ? I'd almost be willing to
start hacking in something in the holidays, if there were other people
interested.

--
/dopey