Re: [chat] LDAP talk

On Mon, 22 Oct 2001, Steve Kowalik <stevenk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote...

: At  4:32 pm, Monday, October 22 2001, Matt Hope mumbled:

^ I dont mumble, damnit.

: > Administering it can be a bit of a bitch.
: >
: Once it's going, and I set it's log level down to stop finding
: /var/log/daemon.log at ~600Mb, it's looked after itself. I would like it
: talk over SSL or TLS, however.

IIRC, openldap2 and supporting libpam-ldap and libnss-ldap support this.

: > padl have the MigrationTools, which do rock to set it all up, but after
: > its set up, it can be a pain to add new users / etc.
: >
: I find that sometimes, but, I'm just using LDAP at home, so adding users
: isn't that much of a problem, and I just slap a ldif file together and
: throw it to ldapadd.

Easy for a a once off - but its a real pain when you want to do anything
serious - which ldap *should* support. I don't believ I should be writing
an admin app for this - ldap is so damn good, there should be plenty. But
there doesnt appear to be.

: gq springs to mind, and one of my friends on IRC raves about it.

gq is an ldap admin tool, yes. But its not focused on authentication or
anything else.

If I wasn't so lazy, I'd probably start hacking on some kind of admin
tools. Beh.

--
/dopey