Re: [chat] userid from a browser

Jon Biddell wrote:

About the closest you would get to doing that is get their IP address - and even then, if they are behind a firewall or proxy, there's a chance that you would get the address of that instead.

I can try to dig up the javascript to do that if it would help (I think I got it from grc.com).

Don't worry it confirms my suspicions. This is basically what I said when I was asked, I just wanted to consult the Oracle :-).

I was wondering whether a JVM might help, this would involve a massive install of JVMs though and a huge start up penalty. I suppose the cookie and a first signon is the best option.

Thanks
Ken