Re: [chat] LGPL license w/o GPL infection

On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 10:51:01AM +1000, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> The big question is, where is the line between using your code and modifying
> your code?  If you published the following line of code:
>
> printf("Hello world!\n");
>
> under your licence, I could possibly argue that
>
> printf("Hello cruel world!\n");
>
> is using your code, not modifying your code, because I used 'prinf("Hello '
> and 'world!\n");' and also used my own code.

In the case of written works, I think this has been established
adequately by precedent, check with your friendly local intellectual
property expert. The examples you have above are too short to be
copyrighted - you can't copyright a sentence. (This is why we have
trademarks.)

I'm sure there are precedents on 'how much code does it take to have an
original work?' but I've got no idea.

-Mary.

--
Mary Gardiner