Re: [chat] LGPL license w/o GPL infection

On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 11:57:26AM +1000, Ben Leslie wrote:
> Oh yeah, would help if I read things in context :>
>
> That is a really tough thing. I would really avoid looking at source
> that I can't freely* use on a project. Even with fair use it is just
> too hazy a line to try and walk, sure read papers on how things were
> implemented or docs or whatever,ut not the code. You don't really gain
> that much from the code anyway. (Unless it is for something
> proprietary and then you have other problems to deal with).

And not all unis love you to use other people's work, even within the
fair use provisions. I believe, for example, that at UNSW, people
quoting 10% of another work in their thesis will fall very far on the
wrong side of their plagarism provisions, whereas at USyd, you can run
the gammit of fair use in your thesis. (Whether they'd consider it
worthy of awarding a degree to is another question, but at least they
won't throw you out an stamp 'plagiarism' all over your academic
record.)

I've never heard USyd's policy on using, for example, GPLed code in a
uni project. For GPL purposes, it isn't distribution to hand it in, I
believe, but that doesn't mean that the uni wouldn't think I was
plagarising, or disobeying course regulations on handing in something
that is solely my own work.

-Mary.

--
Mary Gardiner