Re: [chat] LGPL license w/o GPL infection

begin Ben Leslie quotation:

> > > As defined under copyright law. I don't know what they are for code,
> > > exactly, but it's the ones that allow you to make copies of up to 10%
> > > or a single chapter of a book for research purposes etc.
> >
> > Pete and I were talking about this last night - how does Free Software
> > fit into research purposes? Tough one. Raz was a great reference about
> > this stuff whilst he was here...
>
> Not sure exactly what you mean by research, if you mean uni type research
> then a lot of things end up being GPLed by necessity. Especially in OS
> research it is hard to avoid having some GPL code in there somewhere.

Watch out, you'll have Catie picketing the unis. ;)

wrt research, it's what happens when you *don't* accept the GPL, or when
you're given the source without a license to modify and distribute.

You can copy sections of a book for research, republish sections of a book
for research, etc. Thus the question about source.

- ii

--
  Penguinillas Pack GNUzis