[chat] Using server appliances? Want to appear in APC magazine?

Howdy All,

I'm a freelance journalist writing a feature for Australian Personal
Computer Magazine for their December 2001 issue. The topic is server
appliances - i.e, dedicated function servers with embedded operating
systems and simple remote administration interfaces. We're reviewing 3
main types of devices - general server replacements, NAS boxes, and edge
(packet filter, app proxy, NAT, etc) devices.

I'm based in Melbourne. APC, and most Australian magazine publishing, is
Sydney based. As part of the feature, we're looking to interview people
who've been using server appliances in their businesses, to get an idea
of their strengths and weaknesses.

My interest with SLUG users is that:
Most of these devices (more than two thirds of the ones we're reviewing)
are Linux based - the Cobalt Qube, Velociraptor, Watchguard, Esmith,
etc. SLUG users might include businessfolk who'd be inclined to use them
in their systems (though if you happen to be using an appliance using
embedded SCO or Windows, I'm still more than happy to talk).
The people I need to speak to should be Sydney based, because you'll be
photographed along with your article.

You'll be interviewed for the magazine via telephone about your
experiences, positive and negative, with your appliances, especially
when compared to traditional servers. You'll also be photographed in
Sydney and appear in the January 2002 issue of the magazine.

The interviews will not be PR puff pieces. APC wants real opinions,
balanced between the good and the bad.

I'm happy to speak to anyone, but APC is especially looking for people
who don't fit the stereotypes of IT folk - women and people from ethnic
backgrounds especially.

If you're interested, please mail me back as soon as humanly possible.
My deadline is in nine days.

Thanks for your time,

Mike
Mike MacCana    	Freelance Journalist
          C Y B E R S O U R C E
   Level 9, 140 Queen St Melbourne 3000
Ph : +61 3 9642 5997 Fax: +61 3 9642 5998