Re: [chat] "Real" Internet Connections

On Mon, Oct 08, 2001 at 10:50:39AM +1000, Craige McWhirter (Craige.McWhirter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> Thus spake Jobst Schmalenbach, on Mon, Oct 08, 2001 at 09:58:07AM +1000:
>
> > On Sat, Oct 06, 2001 at 07:30:02PM +1000, Jeff Waugh (jdub@xxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> > > <quote who="Minh Van Le">

> > > Minh,
> > >
> > > Have a look at this page from connect.com.au:
> > >
> > >   http://www.connect.com.au/docs/permconnections/types.html
> > >
> > > You can learn a lot about this stuff just by finding out about the products
> > > that providers such as AAPT, Connect and Telstra offer.
> >
> >                          ^^^^  ^^^^^^
> >
> >                         Thats the sam bunch (aapt == connect).
>
> oooh, tiggy touch-wood here.
>
> > connect is a branch of aapt.
>
> Um ,technically yes. With the exception that Connect and AAPT offer
> quite different services (though some over lap - have I contradicted
> myself yet?). Connect will actually sell you AAPT competitors products
> and in most circumstance I've dealt with connect, they have recommended
> the AAPT competitors infrastructure.
>
> I think the general dissemination is that AAPT are a wanna be telco and
> Connect are a wanna be ISP.

Mmmh. I have heard so many people complain with other REAL ISP's that
their line quality is crap, their downloading speeds suck etc etc.

[449] [root@ronnie] /var/log #ROOT# >cat /var/log/messages* | grep "Connect: ppp"
Sep  7 10:26:19 piquet pppd[18494]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS1
[450] [root@ronnie] /var/log #ROOT# >

That tells me that my modem connections has been up since September 7th (HW replace).
Here is an example of downloading:

    6000      2      0      2      0  |      232      3      0      3      0
    6000      2      0      2      0  |      120      3      0      3      0
    4500      3      0      3      0  |      156      3      0      3      0

Not bad for a 56K modem connection to a "wanna be" ISP, this is binary
downloading a file from USA and normally wiggles around the 6K(+--.2) barrier.
(this supports 15 people in our office .... ).

Mmmmhh, I'd rather stay with a wanna be ISP ;-)

jobst

--
Keyboard not found - please clean up desktop!

             __, Jobst Schmalenbach, jobst@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Technical Director
   _ _.--'-n_/   Barrett Consulting Group P/L & The Meditation Room P/L
 -(_)------(_)=  +61 3 9532 7677, POBox 277, Caulfield South, 3162, Australia