Re: [chat] Re: [SLUG] IT Jobs

Andrew Bennetts wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 07, 2001 at 04:16:57AM +1000, Minh Van Le wrote:
> > while we're talking about making assumptions, i think you're assuming too
> > much that people who post to mailing lists are actually subscribed to the
> > list. afaik, it is an -option- to subscribe.
>
> Yes, it is optional, in that you can post without being subscribed.
>
> It is, however, considered rude by many people to repeatedly post
> questions to a list without being subscribed to that list.  Lists like
> SLUG are a community resource; doing what you're doing takes advantage
> of that resource, without giving anything back to the community.  If you
> are finding the mailing list helpful (and I presume you are, otherwise
> why do you keep posting questions?), you should subscribe and return the
> favour to others who how have questions that you can answer.

I don't operate like that. I make sure I can help myself, before I help
others. I will return favours in my own time, and when I'm most capable, when
it best suits me. There's a time when people set sail on their own to conquer
the wisdom of the earth, and have much to offer when they return from their
journey. So leave me to my own business. You're assuming that not seeing my
penance for taking advantage of a community resource, that I'm not giving
something in return in some alternative way. I'll  remind you that people
don't have to be seen in a mailing list to help the linux community.

I'm happy to sacrifice the short term for long term gain.

You're also assuming that I'm the only one benefitting from other people's
answers/input to my questions.

> It wouldn't be offensive if you'd only posted a question once or twice.
> Lately you've been regularly making use of the community's goodwill, and
> while I don't speak for the community in any way, I find your behaviour
> to be extremely selfish.  Especially as virtually none of your questions
> are directly related to Linux.

It seems to me that you're demanding people repay help. That's not community
good will, that's called business.