[chat] Anyone else dig Douglas Rushkoff's stuff?

I've enjoyed most of his previous work...

- ii

----- Forwarded message from Douglas Rushkoff <rushkoff@xxxxxxxx> -----

HEAR YE:

You're all invited to join in the creation of EXIT STRATEGY, an Open Source
Novel.

It goes live today, Monday, July 9, at Yahoo Internet Life.
http://www.yil.com/exitstrategy

This online release is important to me; it's the first time I've foregone a
US print deal in order to give my text away for free. And it will only work
if people truly feel invited and welcome jump in and participate. This book
is not about me -- it's about all of us. (So please forward this to
appropriate friends and lists.)

-----
EXIT STRATEGY

THE STORY:
An allegory of the story of Joseph, Exit Strategy is the tale of a young
hacker named Jamie Cohen who, betrayed by his posse, ends up as the right
hand man of one of New York's most powerful venture capitalists. He becomes
part of a plot to launch a new online program capable of hypnotizing web
users into passionate consumers and investors. But his hacker buddies have
also developed their own new networking tool - "Teslanet" - which could make
the Internet, and the NASDAQ pyramid, itself, absolutely worthless. Jamie
must decide who is friends are, and how to execute his own exit strategy
from the market madness. Meanwhile, his hallucinations of brokers turning
into bulls - real bulls - are loosening his grip on the real. Or are they?

THE OPEN SOURCE EXPERIMENT:
Although the book takes place in the near future, the text itself only
"surfaced" online in the 23rd Century. The entire text is annotated with
footnotes so that terms like "Microsoft" and "NASDAQ" make sense to the
future reader who, presumably, lives in a world beyond such things.

The book is now online as an "open source novel." This means that online
readers can add their own footnotes and annotations to the text, in the
voices of their own future anthropologists. 100 of those footnotes (the ones
generating the most conversation) will be included in the subsequent US
release of the book, and the authors will be sent free autographed copies,
and invited to the book party in NYC.

[ 8< snip 8< ]

----- End forwarded message -----

--