Re: [coders] Why compilers are important.

On Sat, 2007-06-23 at 20:59 +1000, Mark Greenaway wrote:
> > Here's a really good (but rather long) blog post:
> >
> >      http://steve-yegge.blogspot.com/2007/06/rich-programmer-food.html

> I wonder how vital understanding how compilers work really is for the
> majority of programmers.

This is a classic case of the blub paradox:

Compiler theory is the most powerful set of tools in a coder's toolbox.
In my experience, there is rarely a new problem goes by that doesn't use
one or another of the techniques collectively called compiler theory.
But then, I like writing compilers.

to answer Mark's question: if you understand a computer well enough to
write a compiler, and tell that compiler how it works, then you
understand it *very* well.   And they don't even teach pointers any
more, sheesh!

Peter Miller <millerp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
/\/\*        http://miller.emu.id.au/pmiller/

PGP public key ID: 1024D/D0EDB64D
fingerprint = AD0A C5DF C426 4F03 5D53  2BDB 18D8 A4E2 D0ED B64D
See http://www.keyserver.net or any PGP keyserver for public key.

"I'm glad it's getting weird again." -- Final Cut Pro easter egg