- To: "SLUG Activities" <activities@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: [activities] Group Membership detail online
- From: Zhasper <slug@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 21:40:59 +1000
- Dkim-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:mime-version:content-type:x-google-sender-auth; b=PkWN3iVO4iZrrY0vEcN8sfIjfKVncFROyyM+UVrg6DIYRMUW1zLPO/o9NDsKot1foJhml0Yc29eXui+noF+tx+vkHjU5BMMzJn3MioHiUw3XfMlp0AM7SYepFRp5+bnDZ/TisyBI5Fd+GsD4EgoaME0/bOFh8OxBI9374k7bR6g=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=received:message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:mime-version:content-type:x-google-sender-auth; b=dY0q5ZIFHKP8cYeXcy3OWwKRz5veJxV1zEXpIen0bERVqJRPEkHXt110RnAX4YAEfcnKshiPZAz5VkLDawmFmQ71UZeXDIr0vEwbllYqmnsnE1EOJcmePuAY85VJN/SfaMPNgy6bvHSmuy5w/2PFUWBOAysuGiWuhIXYBaQ8n0A=
Detail of proposed constitutional changes to allow group memberships is now online at http://wiki.slug.org.au/creation_of_a_corporate_membership
Summary of the intent of the changes:
* Organisations can apply for affiliate memberships
* Affiliate membership costs are 10x individual membership costs
* Affiliate members may not sit on the committee, but affiliate members may cast a vote at general meetings.
* Affiliate members must have a nominated contact person
A couple of points which need consideration (and perhaps some debate):
* LA don't allow affiliate members to vote at all. However, LA also don't charge for any memberships. In our case, if an organisation wanted to unduly influence the direction of SLUG, the 10x membership cost would mean they'd buy 10 individual memberships for 10 persons from their organisation, rather than using a single affiliate membership. I personally feel that organisations can be part of the community just as much as individuals can, and that it's only appropriate to give those organisations who support SLUG via their membership feeds a voice
* The changes here in section II.3 conflict with changes in http://wiki.slug.org.au/changes_to_the_process_of_becoming_a_member
. We need to decide what to do about this. We could merge both changes into a single change to be voted on as a single item at the SGM. If we're going to keep them as seperate items, I think we need to put forward two versions of one of the process-of-becoming-a-member proposal - one version to be voted on if this change passes, one to be voted on if this change doesn't pass.
* Of particular interest: if we do streamline the process of becoming a member, should those changes apply to affiliate memberships? LA do - but they also don't receive any financial benefit from affiliate members, and they don't allow affiliate members to vote
I'm tired right now and don't want to think about this any more. I look forward to questions tomorrow on anything I've missed.
There is nothing more worthy of contempt than a man who quotes himself - Zhasper, 2004